Sunday, June 20, 2010

Recap

Yesterday D and I returned from an absolutely fabulous week's vacation with my family in Florida. We had a wonderful time lazing around by the pool and on the beach, ate some good food and enjoyed some good books and good company. Now that my head has been clear of Step 1 for over a week, I also feel compelled (and capable) to write a little about that lovely experience.

So. Step 1. It's kind of a beast, but honestly I didn't feel like it was too awful. The questions that I got (they basically comprise the test out of a huge bank of different questions, so everyone's test is different) were all in all very similar to what I saw on my USMLE World question bank in terms of content and how much of a subject you saw (i.e. there was a lot of path, decent phys, little bits here and there of other things). My anatomy questions, thankfully, were pretty easy and understandable, as opposed to some nightmares I heard about from friends. There was not nearly as much micro or biochem as I expected or prepared for. I got a couple of really out there questions that I was lucky enough to know (thanks to random UWorld questions), and a few questions that were simply classified under the WTF category (but that's to be expected). I should get my score in 3-6 weeks, hoping for closer to 3 but not going to hold my breath.

I expected to be absolutely overjoyed at the end, but really it didn't sink in for about two days. If anything, the night of the exam I just felt...tired. It didn't hit me that I was done until I'd gotten to sleep in for a few days, but now I'm thoroughly enjoying my vacation. Other than our trip, I've basically just been chilling out, but now that I have a week or so before orientation for third year, I'm hoping to get some work done around the house and yard. There are a couple of closets here that are dying to be organized, and the mulch looks atrocious. Tomorrow, though, is reserved for D and I to celebrate our second anniversary! Not sure exactly what we'll be doing, but I know it will involve at least dinner and a movie, so I'll update on the exciting events later.

No comments: