Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Honors

I got honors in histo!  I'm a straight-up bad ass.  

In all seriousness, it was quite exciting, though I'm still not sure it makes up for the 5 days of unrelenting brain-mushifying that preceded the exam.  The good news:  I also got really good grades on my gross exams two days later, despite not studying all that much.  Now we're moving on with head and neck, which, while rumored to be about the hardest part of gross all year, seems not to be that bad.  Especially considering that while there are a lot of structures that we're looking at in lab, they are all in relatively well-defined places, as opposed to the pelvis (where stuff could just arise from anywhere it damn well pleased), so that might actually make things even a tad easier.  I don't mind memorizing branchings and pathways of arteries.  It's finding a tiny little structure that should be so easy but takes 3 hours of my day that's frustrating.  

We also started embryo and neuro yesterday, and so far, I thoroughly enjoy embryo.  It's easier to remember things when it's more of a story, rather than a series of random facts like histo was.  Also, being one who hopes to someday have a child, I find it sort of...more personal?  That's probably weird or creepy or something, but it's fascinating to me all of the things that my body will do in only 8 weeks time to come up with a tiny human being.  

In the news of life outside med school...things are going quite well, though I've become consumed with blog reading lately and it's begun to infringe on my study time to a ridiculous degree.  I texted D earlier tonight to ask him if he would please, please, hold me accountable for getting done with head and neck flashcards and reviewing yesterday's embryo lecture by the time he gets home.  He said that I must study or die...so I guess I should probably get working on that. Particularly since I plan to do NO studying this weekend, as Monday is my birthday and I plan on using some well-deserved down time to celebrate. 

No comments: