Friday, October 10, 2008

Exams, part deux

Next week is our second round of exams, and things are infinitely more spread out this time than they were last time.  Yet somehow, I feel just a bit less prepared or more behind (can't quite figure out which).  We had a practice practical for gross a few days ago, and the tags were (in my not-so-humble opinion) pretty poorly put together.  There were several where they didn't have time to clean things up, make sure you knew where an artery was going, or even that a correlating structure was in view--and those are generally the only way of knowing for sure what a structure is.  Ah well...I passed even then, and it's pretty much a given that the real thing will be infinitely easier.  I just worry because I'm good at it, I think.  

Today, by contrast, we had a practice histology practical and it went far better than expected, given that I have not really had much time to study the slides.  What I was more concerned about coming into the histo exam is that I won't have enough time to really review the written material to the point that I really know it, but I've made it through three "sections" worth of flashcards this afternoon and evening (in addition to making flashcards and doing a first run of yesterday's lecture material, which I didn't get to yesterday) and it feels like things are, for the most part, going pretty well.  I was attempting to do one more section but I just feel like at this point I'm so tired that nothing's really going to be worth it.  It's still more than I thought I would get done today...but I needed to get lots done today because tomorrow I'm going to the Old Crow Medicine Show concert!!!  If you don't know Old Crow...they're a modern bluegrass band with a fiddle player that I would seriously give my right arm to play like.  Although in a massive twist of irony, were I to actually give my right arm, I would then be completely unable to play the violin at all.  That's life for you. 

But no, in all seriousness, I really am very much looking forward to this concert.  A new friend from school was looking for someone to go with her, and I jumped at the chance, and D is actually off from work early enough to go, too, so hopefully a great time will be had by all.  My goal is to get through another 2-3 sections of histo tomorrow and take a gander at the cross-sections we're supposed to know for gross prior to going out...but we'll see how that goes, as I also really need to go birthday shopping with my mom to select things for my list.   For having a test next week, this actually stands to be a pretty good weekend. 

No comments: