Thursday, June 4, 2009

...And I did!

Lo and behold, yesterday afternoon the third year students had lectures and so I ended up being the only student around, along with 2 of the attendings.  As a result, I got to see all the patients on my own for the first time and do the typical 3rd-year thing.  It was really cool, and I honestly think I did a pretty good job.  I mean, there are questions I sometimes forget to ask and I don't know differential diagnoses from a hole in the ground, but I'm getting pretty decent at taking a pediatric H&P at the least and also getting better at writing a note the way they want one written.  In fact, while I'm sure it's still rather awkward and whatnot, I feel like I really do a good job of just talking to people, which is half the battle.  And more than that, I really enjoy it--it feels right, like this is what I'm supposed to be doing--which is a good feeling. 

Yesterday's list o' patients included a 2-month old for a check-up, a 9-month old for a check-up and follow-up on a previous URI (upper respiratory infection), and an 11 year old for a check-up and school physical.  It was nice to branch out with the 11 year old, because up to then all I had really seen were babies and really young kids.  Today, I'm hoping to get a sick kid or two since I haven't really done one of those yet.  Alas, with all the rain we've been having today will probably be slower than even yesterday (which was pretty slow).  


2 comments:

Katya said...

yay Becca! You are like my own personal episode of House, except funnier and cooler. (House is a jerk, and you are not, just in case you didn't know.)

B, the medical student said...

Hooray! I strive for "not a jerk." :-D Also for "not terrifying," since it's pediatrics, after all.