Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Exam Week and Car Issues

Last week was possibly the most exhausting week ever.  I have never been physically tired after an exam, but I was on Friday evening.  I don't think I necessarily worked harder than I normally do for an exam week, but the sheer mountain of material that was covered on this exam--easily twice what we had on our last one--made for a daunting mental experience.  Then, on test day, we have six one-hour long exams, with a fifteen minute break between each and an hour for lunch in the middle.  This is supposed to get us ready for the boards next year, which follow roughly the same format, but the difference is that when you take the boards, you are not required to take the allotted amount of time for each section.  If you finish early, you can take your ten minute break and then start the next section at will.  For our exams, if I finish half an hour early on each section, I am simply treated to a forty-five minute break between each exam, which makes for a very long, very tiring day.  I came home, plopped straight down on the couch, and fell asleep for an hour afterward.  

The nice thing was, D and I got to go to the med school "Spring Fling" dance Friday evening, which turned out to be pretty fun.  Any excuse to wear a fun dress is ok by me.  The rest of the weekend was equally nice because I went shopping and rounded out a little more of my professional wardrobe for the externship this summer.  

This morning, I was all up and ready to go to class at 8 when I walked outside, threw my stuff in my car, turned the key, and...nothing.  Not a sound.  Not a click, whirr, or a light.  Nada.  I thought maybe it just needed time to warm up a bit since it's been unseasonably cold lately, but no dice.  Luckily, when I called my extended warranty people to see if there was any chance in hell that it was still active, it turned out that the car was still covered under warranty until June 11 (2009) or 75,000 miles, whichever came first.  My car has (literally) 74,800 + miles.  Thank God.  Triple A is coming sometime (supposedly) here within the next fifteen minutes to tow my car to the shop and I think I get a free rental car out of the deal.  Hopefully the whole business won't take too long, since I have to go to school and pretend to talk to patients about not smoking by three.  

No comments: