Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back at it

I have officially survived the first week of the new semester relatively unscathed and am beginning to get back into the stride of studying.  We're doing biochem, physiology, and neuro this semester, and while the four hour marathons of lectures every morning are a bit much, it's kind of a nice change of pace to not have to worry about a) changing for gross lab almost every day and b) the absolute rote kind of memorization that was required in anatomy.  I really did enjoy gross, but it's nice to have classes where you're telling a story rather than reciting random facts.  The studying certainly goes much more quickly this way, and I feel like I get a better grasp on the material the first time around.  

Last night I got to go out to dinner at one of those Japanese places with the big grills where they cook everything in front of you with some of my old gymnastics teammates.  We always try to get together a couple times a year at least, and it was nice to catch up with everyone.  If only we did it more often.  Today, I have been uber productive with the studying, and I'm hoping it will pay off by giving D and I some time to actually go out to dinner or something.  We got a couple of gift cards to restaurants for Christmas, since we have so little time and money to actually go places any more, so I've been really looking forward to getting out and actually doing something rather than our usual routine of sitting at home.  

Speaking of doing something other than sitting...one of my goals for the new year (I hate to say "resolutions," because I always find new year's resolutions to be so easily forgotten and pointless) is to actually get off my butt and start working out more.  I had gotten in the habit of going to the gym at school for a while back in the fall, but it's so difficult to stay motivated when I get out of class around 4:00 every day, it's getting dark and cold, and all I want to do is go home and get warm rather than changing into shorts and back into normal clothes.  What I'd really like is a Wii fit, so that I can start doing some things at home (like yoga!  I've always wanted to try yoga).  Unfortunately the $80+, combined with the impossibility of actually finding a Wii fit in stores are probably going to mean hoofing it to the gym a couple of times a week.  Come on, tax refund!!  Maybe then I can afford to be lazy in my work out habits.  

No comments: