Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Another one bites the dust

Had our first exam today in histology, and I think it went ok.  There were maybe 4-5 questions that I was iffy about, one of which I'm almost positive I missed (but that's because it was a poorly-asked question, in my opinion).  Still, even if I missed all the ones I wasn't sure about, I'll still end up with like an 85% or more, which is fine by me.  I'm desperately trying to kick the old pre-med competitive attitude out the window--not that I'm competitive with other people, but with myself I am ruthless.  I hate not doing as well as I think I should've, which, considering my record in undergrad, is basically perfect.  I don't know if I'm quite satisfied with an 85%, but considering I don't feel like I could've done much more to help myself do better, I'll have to just take it and run.  I think the next test will be better, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to the first gross exam just because I enjoy the concepts of gross more, so studying is more enjoyable than the rote memorization of tiny minutiae required of histology.  

Unfortunately, my pre-test "ritual" of sorts was interrupted this morning by the fact that my poor littlest sister was in the ER having to have her appendix removed.  She's been sick since Monday, went to urgent care yesterday, and finally returned to the ER at about one this morning, where a cat scan showed her appendix had perforated.  By the time they operated, it had ruptured, but she's done with surgery and doing much better now.  The saddest thing about the whole situation was the medical student in me, upon hearing the news that she would need surgery at about 5:30am, could only think "dear God please let the on-call surgeon have gotten some sleep."  So sad, but so true. 

Last Friday was a great day in anatomy lab.  Our course director actually complimented how well my side of the body was dissected in the mediastinum, and we got out extremely early.  Good times.  

No comments: