Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Orientating and Dentistry

This week is orientation week at school, and while I don't have to orient myself, I'm acting as a unit lab advocate and helping out with some of the new first years.  For the past 3 days, I've gotten to go have a free lunch in exchange for answering questions and pointing people in the right direction.  The lab that I (and two of my classmates) are working with has been surprisingly quiet the past couple of days, but today we took a more informal approach and just hung out while everyone ate, and I think it went better--at least, I was actually more involved in advice-giving than I was when things were all official and "Any Questions?"

This morning, I had to go to the periodontist and have a gum graft done--a procedure where they took a piece of tissue from my palate and put it on my lower gums to keep them from exposing too much tooth (it's apparently a genetic thing).  The guy who did the procedure was very good--I didn't feel a thing as he was working--but the inability to move my mouth very well has become insanely tiresome already.  Seriously, I just took almost an hour to consume a plate of tater tots.  The quandry, of course, is that I'm hungry, but the idea of eating is unappealing.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better, because that's the day of the student activities fair--I have to run the pediatrics club table and we have cookies, which I would really love to have.  

1 comment:

Katya said...

good luck with the eating thing, I know how that goes all too well.
(a couple more weeks and I braces free!!)

greetings from Ecuador