Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Well, I survived my last week on gyn onc (barely) and have emerged into the shining rays of private practice. For the next two weeks, I basically get to spend my day in the normal office of a normal ob/gyn doctor, following her around. Unfortunately, the downside to being with Dr. B is that she has a very busy practice, which means she really doesn't have time for me to see a patient and present, and then her to see the patient. So my day (at least yesterday) basically consisted of a lot of shadowing--I go in, watch her see the patient, maybe help measure the belly or find fetal heart tones, but that's it. I appreciate the time she takes to talk me through the patient's history, but otherwise it's a little harder to enjoy when I'm not the one actually doing anything for myself. Ah well. On the upside, I don't have to arrive in the mornings until 9:30, and we are usually out by 5-6 (she says). Yesterday we were out late because there was a delivery in the middle of the afternoon that put her behind schedule.

We also didn't leave until 7 because the last couple of the day was so neurotic about their "birth plan" for their very-soon-to-be-born baby. Let this be a lesson to you, folks--when it's time to have your first kid, it's all well and good to have an idea of what you want for your experience and such, but it's also good to have at least a little flexibility. I mean, sheesh. Hoping today we have a more normal, not so behind day.

No comments: